Friday, June 10, 2011

What I Have Learned


I have learned a lot about the culture and history of South Africa in the context of leadership during my time here.  I have also learned a lot about myself, some things I think I already knew but was unable of how to translate it into my life.  For example, I have realized that I love to give back to the community and would benefit from spending more time volunteering in my own local community.  Here is a little more of what I have learned thus far.

A hug is one of the most valuable gifts to give and receive.
-       I often used to underestimate the power of showing someone you care.  The looks I’ve received and numerous hugs while here, make me certain that showing someone you care is never wasted.

Giving is more rewarding than receiving.
-       Obviously this is self-explanatory and something that many of you may have experienced in your own lives.  But being around others that have so many obstacles to overcome and are extremely grateful for those who give is something I find personally motivating.  It motivates me to become more involved in giving back to my own community and making a difference where it is needed.

Your emotions are valid.  Never write them off as invalid.
-       So many times during this trip I have become overwhelmed with emotions.  I have learned that expressing those first initial emotions and any that follow there after are a healthy way to learn and cope with experiences.

Connections can be created with the most unsuspecting people in the most unsuspecting places.
-       I never expected to feel part of a family half way around the world.  I have created a family with my fifteen fellow travelers, my host family in Guguletu, the JL Zwane congregation and our trusty facilitators (Alan, Jane, Godfrey & Herschel).  I never expected that this feeling of community could be demonstrated so strongly so far away from what I call home.

Relationships cross over borders, race and socioeconomic status.
-       In many instances, I have found myself surrounded by those of a different race and socioeconomic status from South Africa.  I have never felt awkward or unwelcomed though, I have felt as though I belong.  This feeling of belonging with those from different backgrounds than myself has taught me extreme gratitude and perspective in my own life.  So remember, just because someone may be different in surface level ways, there are many more layers to peel back that may surprise you.

Be thankful for all that you have and you will have a lot to be thankful about.
-       So often I view things as needs, when they are really wants.  Seeing those who struggle to obtain needs in South Africa has put me into a different mindset regarding what I have.  I have so many material things that are not something I have purchased for survival or my family, like how many families in the townships do.  Therefore, I need to remember to be more thankful for what I have before trying to think that more things in my life will improve my life.

Reaching a level of discomfort in your life is something to embrace, not shun.  From discomfort comes reflection and room for change.
-       Many experiences during my time here have taken me out of my comfort zone.  If you stay in your comfort zone, it disables you from finding different perspectives and being able to reflect on your own level of comfort.  From reaching these levels of discomfort I have learned things about

It is not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our life that counts.
-Often in the townships families may have limited needs and wants but there sense of community is always in abundance.  As long as you have positive and healthy relationships in your life you will have so much to be thankful for.

Do not be quick to judge because first judgments can be misleading.
-       At times I caught myself judging the way someone lived or his or her situation while in Guguletu.  But I have learned to catch myself before going into that judgment phase and take a step back.  In most cases, many parts of the puzzle are missing when one is quick to judge and does not ask questions.  I have found that getting all of the pieces before forming an opinion makes others gain more respect for you and what you have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment