Saturday, June 4, 2011

Come In Right

Monday, May 30th

Today it sank in.  I’m here.  I see it.  Now what do I do?  I feel helpless seeing all of this poverty and pain without being able to fix it all.  I’m guessing it relates to, ‘Coming In Right’.  As I reread the chapter, “You’ve Got to Come In Right” in Kevin Winge’s book, Never Give Up, I am reminded that my experience here is not about fixing things, or viewing things through an American lens.  Instead, it is about understanding, patience and compassion.  I wrote Kevin’s advice on the back of my notebook so I can remind myself constantly to come in right with all of the experiences in Guguletu.  The advice is as follows:

·      Listen more than you speak.
·      Ask more than you tell.
·      Behave like a guest in your boss’s home.
·      Resist the temptation to fix things; you might not have the tools to do so, & the thing might not be broken in the first place.
·      Cast off your American lens & look at the world through different eyes.
·      Don’t look for simple answers for complex problems.
·      Don’t implement complex solutions for simple problems.
·      Live with your experiences.
·      If moved to act, ask what is needed.  Don’t assume you know.
·      Be willing to make a leap of faith.

One of my first thoughts was, “people should not have to live like this”.  But, who am I to judge how those in the townships live?  They seem to exhibit more community than I’ve experienced in the states, as well as more hope.  Yes, living conditions could be improved, but my perspective of what is needed is most likely different than what the citizens of Gugs would classify as needs.  The main question I struggle with is, “Now What?” What will I do with this knowledge, this experience?  To be continued….

No comments:

Post a Comment