Saturday, June 4, 2011

Akhona


This morning I had my first cry in Gugs as we were reflecting on our first night in our homestays.  Chelsey, Megan and I are staying with Noxie, her nephew, and Akhona.  I cried as I told the story of Akhona, a girl my age who bravely shared her story with us.  She is originally from the small rural town of George, which is around four hours north of Cape Town.  Akhona is involved in the program, “These Numbers Have Faces”, which covers her university fees in order to obtain her degree.  In return for free tuition the program asks for 1% of the graduates income to go back to the program and requires community service from the scholarship recipient.  Akhona explained that next week she would be participating in a mentor program, where she would mentor an under privileged South African child.  She said, “I’m excited to give them hope because I am so fortunate”.  Her words rang so loudly in my mind, “I AM SO FORTUNATE”. 

She had just told her story of her mother and grandmother passing away around two months ago and now having the responsibility of being the main source of income for her family.  Akhona would work almost everyday of the week at a restaurant saving and using up her money for tuition to attend the university.  When her mother passed away she could no longer work or afford school, until the program helped her.  She recently came to live with Noxie in order to be closer to the University during exams.  She hasn’t seen her family in George in a long time and stays in Gugs studying all day.  I admired her positivity, but my first instinct was to feel selfish.  I’m given my needs and wants on a daily basis.  I’ve never lost a parent and attending a university was something expected in my lifestyle.  I’m fortunate, but forget to remind myself of my blessings and opportunities on a daily basis like Akhona.
There is a lot to learn from those less fortunate, who proudly recognize their blessings.  It is humbling and life changing.  Today I stopped looking through my American lens and was thankful for all I had already been given in Gugs:  a warm bed, safe home, and most importantly: a new view on life.

Akhona and I became very close throughout my time in Gugs.  She was truly an inspiration and a great friend to have during my time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment