Saturday, June 4, 2011

Gugs Journal

My stay in Guguletu has come to an end.  I still have mixed emotions.  I’ve created some amazing relationships, seen things hard to describe in words and feel like part of a community that I never thought I would.  In order to give you a better understanding of the emotional rollercoaster that happened this past week I am typing my journal entries from the week so it better describes how I felt in the moment.  So please read with an open mind and open heart in order to understand what I am about to share.  I'm posting most of my experiences in order of days and some separate blogs for people personal stories that made an impact on me.

JL Zwane Welcoming
Sunday, May 29th

Our stay in Guguletu began with a visit to JL Zwane Church for Sunday’s church service.  We arrived early and were greeted with large smiles and our first dose of Xhosa conversations.  The service was like nothing I have ever experienced.  I’ve never felt a strong bond to any church or Sunday service in my life, but this service was inspirational.  The reverend, SpiwoXapile, said something that I found to be very comforting, “Most churches are always telling you, and never listening”.  I found this to ring true to many church services that I have attended and found it encouraging that JL Zwane is taking the progressive step to listen to the congregation and what it needs.  The first step it has taken to make this effort to listen is to become an advocate for the HIV and AIDS pandemic and patients.  The front counsel that the reverend preached from read, “JL Zwane Cares”, with a red HIV/AIDS ribbon symbol below. 
Another inspirational moment of the service was the soulful music that seemed to fill a lot of time in the service.  The entire congregation sang along with passion and got into the middle of the aisles and danced with neighbors and friends.  Brian, Shane, and I were pulled into the aisle to dance with a woman who was sitting by us., while Megan was holding a baby from the woman next to her and dancing as well.  It was a moving moment for most in the group because the feeling of togetherness and joy was overwhelming throughout the entire service.  The service was a mixture of Xhosa and English to make everyone feel included as well.  I hope to attend another service before the end of our time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment