Thursday, May 26, 2011

What Happens in Room 1, Stays in Room 1.


Creating community is something that the leadership minor focuses on from day one.  All of my group, myself included, have had the pleasure to create a community in our leadership classes, organizations we are a part of and people of importance in our lives.  Yesterday after our long day of visiting museums we returned to Riverview Lodge where we somehow reclaimed enough energy to get together as a group in hopes to strengthen our already existing community.  We sat within Room 1 for hours talking about everything from deepest fears to life obstacles.  The vulnerability that each member of the community shared was inspiring.  It made me feel closer to each individual and truly help me understand everyone on a deeper level.  We realized that we constantly ended conversations of serious content with humor and sarcasm, a group norm which has been apparent since day one.  We took a quick break from Room 1 for dinner, but returned immediately after.  We then decided to continue our bonding time with a little South African wine (always a crowd pleaser).    We spent the rest of the night talking about every taboo subject that my mother has warned me to stay away from such as politics and religion.  I learned a lot about different religions such as Quakerism and the Baptist religion.  After numerous inappropriate and hysterical quotes had been recorded and six bottles of wine were gone we decided to end our group bonding for the night.  The group of people that I am experiencing this adventure with are truly amazing, each in their own way and as each day goes on I learn more about what they are capable of and how they push me to challenge myself.  Next week we will be spending the week in Guguletu, a township within Cape Town, which is home to South African citizens of extreme poverty.  I believe that the process that my community and I have already begun will be of extreme use during our trip to Gugs (this is what the natives call it).  For the emotional things that we witness while at Gugs, it will be vital to have our supportive community stay strong and aware of every aspect of the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment