Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hey, I'm In Africa


WE MADE IT TO CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA :)
After traveling for over 24 hours with my new family we finally arrived in Cape Town.  When we arrived we were greeted by Aaron, Alan (director of Arcadia study abroad programs and expert on the South African culture), and Jane (Alan’s co worker and our ‘Mom’ for the time here).  I have never been to a country where you drive on the left side of the road so that was my first fascination, but then again even being outdoors after our traveling was exhilarating for all of our jet lagged minds.  We arrived at Riverview Lodge shortly after being picked up from the airport where I enjoyed our first experience of tea and rusk.  Rusk is like a thick, hard American scone; but in South Africa they have it often with tea and coffee.  After the rusk we were shown to our rooms which remind me of the resort I visit each summer, Linger Longer.  For those of you reading this that have been there you probably know that when I say that I mean that the rooms need some work.  I am rooming with Brittany, Suzie and Megan.   I woke up early this morning for my first shower experience, which was perfect if you like intervals of scalding hot water and ice cold water. ;)  
After the delightful shower, we got on the bus to go to University of Cape Town for our first class.  The campus is located around the base of Table Mountain and is full of beautiful buildings, exotic plants and students with a British accent.  We spent our time in class going over safety precautions and orientation material.  It is very apparent that everyone on campus could tell that we were American tourists, besides the fact that we had our cameras out to take pictures of everything, we looked utterly confused the whole day as we walked through campus.  The confusion arises from the one constant that has been present since I arrived in South Africa, ambiguity.  For example, even this morning for breakfast I thought I put cream in my cereal because the milk was warm and did not taste like anything I was used too.  Also, when walking around the streets today there were locked gates, instead of doors, in front of each store, the storeowner has to buzz you in for you to enter the store.  The differences between the customs here are already very visible and it has only been one day.
We spent the rest of the afternoon touring Cape Town.  Alan narrated for us as we drove down popular streets of downtown South Africa.  We stopped at what is the ‘capitol’ of South Africa and a market with authentic African food where Alan bought us some of his favorites.  We then drove down by the coast, where there are million dollar living spaces overlooking the harbor and the ocean.  The drastic difference between poverty and wealth here is a very hard concept to grasp.  In one direction there are shacks made out of metal and cardboard and in another direction are the million dollar homes with luxury cars outside.  I think this division will be even more evident during my home stay in Guguletu next week.  Dinner was a meal native to South Africa called ‘baboti’ which is a type of ground beef with eggs on top, yellow rice and chutney.  For dessert, an Afrikaan version of Kuch’s Sister, a funnel like pastry, was served.  We spent time after dinner being taught about the culture and origins of South African music by Aaron and Siviwe (natives in the radio industry).  I am currently beyond exhausted but still up having an amazing time watching “Gay Corner”, led by our favorite gays (Enjoyed by all), a talk show created to pass the time and record the bizarre and humorous experiences we’ve experienced thus far.  I’ll try to get an episode posted. :) Tomorrow we leave at 8:30am for class and a day of touring District Six, Iziko Slave Museum and the Castle of Good Hope.  I’ll fill you in on as soon as I can but for now goodnight, but for most of you reading this good afternoon ;)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous day, chock full of interesting new experiences! And glad to know that your accomodations are helping you feel right at home...if Johnny (Forest) shows up then you'll really fit right in! ;)

    Miss you, love you.
    Patrick

    ReplyDelete